Onion Tomato Chutney is a very quick and easy to make recipe. The basic ingredients of this Spicy Red Chutney is onion and tomato, but the tamarind and dry red chilli makes it simply irresistible as it provides hot and tangy touch into this recipe. If you are a chutney lover like me, try this lip smacking dip with idli or dosa. Or you can have it just like that.
Image : Onion Tomato Chutney
- Preparation Time : 5 minutes
- Cooking Time : 15 minutes
- Total Time : 20 minutes
- Serve : 1 small bowl
- Onion (2 medium size)
- Tomato (1 big size)
- Garlic (7-8 cloves)
- Dry Red Chilli (3-4)
- Tamarind Pulp (1/2 tsp)
- Mustard Seeds (1/2 tsp)
- Mustard Oil (1 tbsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Sugar (1/2 tsp)
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder (1/2 tsp) /optional
- Place onion, tomato, garlic cloves, dry red chilli and tamarind pulp into a blender and grind it into a smooth puree.
- Now heat mustard oil in a pan.
- When the oil is heated, add mustard seeds and wait for them to splutter.
- Add the ground puree into the pan, stir for a while.
- Into the mixture, add some salt, some sugar and kashmiri red chilli powder.
- Cook the chutney on low flame till oil separates from sides .
- Switch off the flame and transfer into a serving bowl.
Take onion, tomato, garlic cloves
Add dry red chilli and tamarind pulp
Grind into a smooth puree
Heat mustard oil and add mustard seeds
Add the ground puree
Add salt and kashmiri Red Chilli powder
Cook till oil separates from sides
- Serve with idli, dosa.
- If you feel 3 red chillies are too much for you then reduce to 2.
- The chutney becomes thick after sauteing. You can add little water to make it thinner consistency.
- You can store this chutney up to 5 days in refrigerator.