Makhane ki Kheer is a must have dessert in the Navratri season. This kheer is a very healthy option for the Navratri fasting/vrat. Makhana or Phool Makhana is also known as Lotus Seeds or Fox-nuts. Makhana is very healthy and easily digestible, rich in protein and calcium. You can have them as a sweet or savoury snack, or can make curries with them or can also cook some desserts with these nutty and puffy beautiful lotus seeds.
- Preparation Time : 5 minutes
- Cooking Time : 25 minutes
- Total Time : 30 minutes
- Serve For : 2-3
- Makhana or Phool Makhana or Lotus Seeds or Fox-Nuts (1 & 1/2 cup)
- Milk (500 ml)
- Ghee or Clarified Butter (1 tsp)
- Sugar (2-3 tbsp or to taste)
- Green Cardamom Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Chironji or Charoli (1 tsp)
- Cashew Nuts (2 tbsp) /cut into small pieces
- Almond Slices (2 tbsp) /blanched and sliced
- At first, heat 1 tsp of ghee in a pan and roast the makhanas for 3-4 minutes until become light brown in colour. Keep them aside.
- Blanch 12-15 almonds and cut them into slices.
- Now start boiling the milk in a heavy bottomed pan or saucepan. Boil for 10 minutes on medium to low heat. Stir at intervals so that the milk does not scorch from bottom.
- Now add the roasted makhanas into the boiling milk and stir well.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of sugar and stir until it dissolves completely.
- Then add cardamom powder, chironji, cashew nuts and almond slices.
- Stir everything well and simmer till the makhanas softens and the milk thickens a bit. It will take around 8-10 minutes.
- Makhana Kheer is ready. Serve warm or cold.
Heat ghee in a pan
Roast the makhanas for 3-4 minutes until light brown in colour
Boil milk for 10 minutes
Add roasted makhanas
Add crushed green cardamom
Add chopped cashew nuts
Add sliced blanched almond
Simmer for 8-10 minutes and stir at intervals
Makhana kheer is ready to serve
- The consistency of the kheer thickens a bit after cooling.
- You can serve the kheer hot or warm or even cold.
- You can adjust the amount of sugar as per your taste.
You can also search for more Navratri Sweets recipes like Suji ka Halwa, Coconut Laddu, Kesari Kheer, Rice Kheer, Coconut Kheer, Almond Milk, Rasmalai.
To get more recipes follow us on Youtube .