Makhane ki Kheer is a must have dessert in the Navratri season. This kheer is a very healthy option for the Navratri fasting/vrat. Makhana or Phool Makhana is also known as Lotus Seeds or Fox-nuts. Makhana is very healthy and easily digestible, rich in protein and calcium. You can have them as a sweet or savoury snack, or can make curries with them or can also cook some desserts with these nutty and puffy beautiful lotus seeds.
Image : Makhane ki Kheer
- Preparation Time : 5 minutes
- Cooking Time : 25 minutes
- Total Time : 30 minutes
- Serve For : 2-3
- Makhana or Phool Makhana or Lotus Seeds or Fox-Nuts (1 & 1/2 cup)
- Milk (500 ml)
- Ghee or Clarified Butter (1 tsp)
- Sugar (2-3 tbsp or to taste)
- Green Cardamom Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Chironji or Charoli (1 tsp)
- Cashew Nuts (2 tbsp) /cut into small pieces
- Almond Slices (2 tbsp) /blanched and sliced
Heat ghee in a pan
Roast the makhanas for 3-4 minutes until light brown in colour
Boil milk for 10 minutes
Add roasted makhanas
Add crushed green cardamom
Add chopped cashew nuts
Add sliced blanched almond
Simmer for 8-10 minutes and stir at intervals
Makhana kheer is ready to serve
- The consistency of the kheer thickens a bit after cooling.
- You can serve the kheer hot or warm or even cold.
- You can adjust the amount of sugar as per your taste.