Navratan Korma is a popular Indian Vegetarian dish. Navratan means nine jewels and korma means curry. Here I am using cashew nuts, almonds, raisins, apple, pineapple, pomegranate, green peas, green beans and cauliflower as nine jewels in my dish. You can find this dish in any Indian restaurants wherever you go. It is a royal Indian delicacy features a delectable assortment of vegetables and fruits in a rich gravy of cream, onion, cashew nuts, some Paneer and dry fruits. Enjoy this dish with naan or roti.
Image : Navratan Korma
- Preparation Time : 20 minutes
- Cooking Time : 40 minutes
- Total Time : 1 hr
- Serve For : 3-4
For the gravy paste –
- Onion (1 big) /slices
- Cashew Nuts (10)
- Garlic Cloves (6-7 cloves)
- Ginger (2 inch piece)
- Green Chilli (1)
For korma –
- Ghee or Clarified Butter (3 tsp)
- Almond (7-8) /chopped
- Cashew Nuts (9-10) /chopped
- Raisins (9-10)
- Apple (1 small)
- Shahi Jeera (1/4 tsp)
- Cumin Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Coriander Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Cauliflower (10-12 small florets)
- Green Beans (1/2 cup)
- Green Peas (2 tbsp) /frozen or boiled
- Fresh Cream (1/2 cup)
- Paneer (100 gm) /cut into small cubes
- Salt (to taste)
- Sugar (1/2 tsp)
- Black Pepper Powder (a pinch)
- Garam Masala Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Pineapple (8-9 pieces) /cubed
- Pomegranate Seeds (2 tbsp)
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan. Add chopped almond, cashew nuts and raisins. Fry them until become light brown in colour. Lastly add apple pieces into the pan and saute for a minute. Switch off the flame and keep the mixture aside.
- In the same pan add some more ghee and saute the paneer cubes until become golden brown. Keep them aside.
- Boil the vegetables [Here I am using green peas, green beans and cauliflower. You can also use carrot, baby corn, potato, bell peppers etc.] for 4-5 minutes. Drain water and keep them aside.
- To make the gravy paste, boil onion slices and cashew nuts together for 10 minutes. Drain water and let them cool down. Then put boiled onion, cashew nuts, green chilli, ginger and garlic cloves into a blender and make a smooth puree.
To make Korma –
- Heat 2 tsp of ghee in a pan and temper with shahi jeera.
- Add the onion puree into the pan and start cooking on medium to high flame.
- After 5 minutes, add cumin powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder into the mixture and keep cooking on medium flame. Do not forget to stir the gravy constantly at this time or it will burn from the bottom.
- Cook the gravy until it becomes sticky and oil separating from the mixture.
- Then add 1 cup of water and stir it well. Boil the gravy for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the boiled vegetables into the gravy and cook for 10 minutes by covering the pan. You can also add some more water if your gravy becomes dry.
- After 10 minutes, open the lead and stir the korma well.
- Add fresh cream and mix it with all the ingredients.
- When your korma looks done, add sautéed paneer, sautéed dry fruit and apple mixture into the pan. Stir gently and mix everything well.
- Lastly add a pinch of black pepper powder, salt, sugar and some garam masala powder. Stir again and cook for another 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Switch off the flame and add pineapple cubes and pomegranate seeds. Give a final stir and your Navratan Korma is ready to serve.
Saute chopped dry fruits until light brown in colour
Add apple pieces
Saute for 1 minute more
Keep the mixture aside
Add boiled onion, boiled cashew, garlic cloves, ginger and green chilli into a blender
Make a smooth puree
Heat ghee and add shahi jeera
Add the onion puree into the pan
After 5 minutes, add cumin powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder
Cook until the mixture becomes thick and sticky
Add boiled vegetables, stir well and cover the pan for 10 minutes
After 10 minutes, add fresh cream and cook for 5 minutes more
Add sautéed dry fruits and apple
Add sautéed paneer pieces
Add pepper powder, garam masala powder, salt and sugar. Mix everything well
Switch off the flame and add pomegranate seeds and pineapple
Mix well and serve
- Do not add pomegranate seeds before switching off the flame or it will lose its colour.
- Serve fresh with naan or roti.