Onion Rice is a very quick and easy recipe of fried rice which you can have as a lunch or snack. In this recipe, basmati rice is combined with the flavour of caramelisesd brown onion along with the crunch of some roasted dry fruits. It’s a very simple and versatile dish which you can cook with a very few ingredients and can serve with some spicy Chicken dishes or with any Vegetarian currys as well.
Image : Onion Rice
- Preparation Time : 10 minutes
- Cooking Time : 30 minutes
- Total Time : 40 minutes
- Serve For : 2
- Basmati Rice or Long Grain Rice (1 cup) /2 cups boiled
- Onion (4 medium size)
- Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil (1 tbsp)
- Ghee or Clarified Butter (2 tbsp)
- Cashew Nuts (1 tbsp)
- Raisins (1 tbsp)
- Curry Leaves (6-8)
- Black Mustard Seeds (1 tsp)
- Sugar (2 tbsp)
- Salt (1/2 tsp or to taste)
- Cinnamon Powder (1/8 tsp)
- Rinse the rice for 3-4 times in running water.
- Now in a big saucepan add 6 cups water and put it on a high flame. Make sure that the lead of the saucepan is heavy and tight.
- When the water gets warm put the rice into the water. Cover the saucepan with a lead and cook on a high flame.
- When the bubbles coming out from the saucepan, open the lead and cook it on simmer till the rice get cooked (it will take around 10-15 minutes).
- Do not over cook the rice.
- When its done, strain the starch of the rice with a strainer and keep aside.
- Wash and soak the cashew nuts and raisins.
- To make the fried rice, heat oil and ghee together in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add the sliced onion into the pan and cook them on medium heat until become golden brown.
- In the mean time, add soaked cashew and raisins into the pan and fry them along with the onions.
- When the onions are caramelised perfectly and the raisins become plump, drain oil and take them out from the pan. Keep them aside.
- Now in the same pan, add 1 more tbsp of ghee or clarified butter and put the curry leaves and mustard seeds into it and wait for them to splutter.
- Then add the boiled rice into the pan and combine them gently with the ghee.
- Meanwhile, add salt and sugar. Give it a good stir and cook on low flame until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Now spread the fried onion and dry fruits mixture over the rice. Mix it very well.
- Lastly, add cinnamon powder, give it a stir and switch off the flame.
- Your Onion Rice is ready to serve.
Boil rice (you can read the entire process how to boil rice here )
Add sliced onion into ghee and oil
Add dry fruits
Cook them until the onion get caramelised
Set them aside
Add some more ghee in the same pan
Add curry leaves and mustard seeds
Add boiled rice
Add fried onion
Add cinnamon powder
Mix and switch off the flame
- Do not over cook the rice while boiling or they will break and become mushy.
- Serve hot.