Moong Dal Halwa is a classic Indian Dessert. This halwa is a very popular Rajasthani delicacy. In each and every festivals of India, sweet dishes plays a very important role in every household. We all know that making Moong Dal Halwa is a very time-consuming and tiring process as it takes around 2-3 hours to make the authentic halwa, but in this recipe, we are making this halwa within 40 minutes of cooking with some easy tricks.
- Preparation Time : 15 minutes
- Cooking Time : 40 minutes
- Total Time : 55 minutes
- Serve For : 4
- Yellow Moong Dal or Split Yellow Gram (250 gm)
- Ghee or Clarified Butter (1 cup)
- Milk (1 cup)
- Water (1 cup)
- Sugar (1 cup)
- Cardamom Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Almonds (15) /chopped
- Yellow Food Colour (few drops) /optional
- Wash and soak moong dal for 4 hours.
- When the soaking period is over, drain water and grind them in a blender. Half a way add some water and again grind into a smooth paste.
- Here comes the trick to make instant moong dal halwa. Place the dal puree on a thin cotton cloth and squeeze out all the water as possible from the puree. It will help the halwa cook faster.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add the moong dal puree into the ghee and start stirring the mixture. Do not forget to stir it continuously at this stage.
- The mixture will become like a tight dough and it takes a lot of effort to stir it for the first 5-7 minutes.
- After that you can see the halwa mixture will start separating and the texture will become like crumble.
- Cook the moong dal very well, because we don’t want the raw smell of moong dal in our halwa.
- Keep stirring and cooking the halwa mixture for 15-20 minutes on medium flame.
- When the dal mixture roasted properly, you can smell a beautiful aroma of the roasted dal [ it will take around 20 minutes to roast the moong dal ].
- At this stage, add milk and water into the halwa and stir the mixture constantly.
- After 4-5 minutes, add sugar and stir until all the sugar dissolves completely into the mixture.
- Add yellow food colour and mix well.
- Keep stirring often on low flame. After 10-15 minutes from adding milk, the liquid should get absorbed and the ghee will separated from halwa. It will take a total 40 minutes to make this halwa.
- Lastly, add cardamom powder and sliced almond into the halwa. Mix well and switch off the flame.
Soak moong dal for 4 hours
Put it into a blender
Blend, and add some water
Again blend and make a smooth puree
Put the puree on a cotton cloth
Squeeze out all the water and make the mixture dry
Add ghee in a heavy bottomed pan
Add the dal mixture and start stirring it
It takes little more effort in the first 5 minutes
After 5 minutes
After 10 minutes
After 15 minutes
After 20 minutes add milk
Mix well and cook for 5 minutes
After 5 minutes, add sugar
Add food colour
Lastly add cardamom powder
Chopped Almonds. Mix well and serve
- Do not forget to stir the halwa constantly while cooking.
- Squeezing out water will help the halwa cook faster.
- You can skip the step of adding food colour.
- Serve hot.
You can also search for more Indian Dessert recipes like Malai Chum Chum, Rasgulla, Besan ke Laddu, Shakkar Para, Rasmalai, Coconut Kheer and many more.
To get more recipes follow us on Youtube .
1 thought on “Moong Dal Halwa”
Hi ,I made moong dal halwa today but I added water a little early n there is now raw daal taste , what should I do