Moong Dal Halwa is a classic Indian Dessert. This halwa is a very popular Rajasthani delicacy. In each and every festivals of India, sweet dishes plays a very important role in every household. We all know that making Moong Dal Halwa is a very time-consuming and tiring process as it takes around 2-3 hours to make the authentic halwa, but in this recipe, we are making this halwa within 40 minutes of cooking with some easy tricks.
Image : Moong Dal Halwa
- Preparation Time : 15 minutes
- Cooking Time : 40 minutes
- Total Time : 55 minutes
- Serve For : 4
- Yellow Moong Dal or Split Yellow Gram (250 gm)
- Ghee or Clarified Butter (1 cup)
- Milk (1 cup)
- Water (1 cup)
- Sugar (1 cup)
- Cardamom Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Almonds (15) /chopped
- Yellow Food Colour (few drops) /optional
- Wash and soak moong dal for 4 hours.
- When the soaking period is over, drain water and grind them in a blender. Half a way add some water and again grind into a smooth paste.
- Here comes the trick to make instant moong dal halwa. Place the dal puree on a thin cotton cloth and squeeze out all the water as possible from the puree. It will help the halwa cook faster.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add the moong dal puree into the ghee and start stirring the mixture. Do not forget to stir it continuously at this stage.
- The mixture will become like a tight dough and it takes a lot of effort to stir it for the first 5-7 minutes.
- After that you can see the halwa mixture will start separating and the texture will become like crumble.
- Cook the moong dal very well, because we don’t want the raw smell of moong dal in our halwa.
- Keep stirring and cooking the halwa mixture for 15-20 minutes on medium flame.
- When the dal mixture roasted properly, you can smell a beautiful aroma of the roasted dal [ it will take around 20 minutes to roast the moong dal ].
- At this stage, add milk and water into the halwa and stir the mixture constantly.
- After 4-5 minutes, add sugar and stir until all the sugar dissolves completely into the mixture.
- Add yellow food colour and mix well.
- Keep stirring often on low flame. After 10-15 minutes from adding milk, the liquid should get absorbed and the ghee will separated from halwa. It will take a total 40 minutes to make this halwa.
- Lastly, add cardamom powder and sliced almond into the halwa. Mix well and switch off the flame.
Soak moong dal for 4 hours
Put it into a blender
Blend, and add some water
Again blend and make a smooth puree
Put the puree on a cotton cloth
Squeeze out all the water and make the mixture dry
Add ghee in a heavy bottomed pan
Add the dal mixture and start stirring it
It takes little more effort in the first 5 minutes
After 5 minutes
After 10 minutes
After 15 minutes
After 20 minutes add milk
Mix well and cook for 5 minutes
After 5 minutes, add sugar
Add food colour
Lastly add cardamom powder
Chopped Almonds. Mix well and serve
- Do not forget to stir the halwa constantly while cooking.
- Squeezing out water will help the halwa cook faster.
- You can skip the step of adding food colour.
- Serve hot.