This Kerala style Coconut Chicken Curry is a super easy and simple recipe to make your weekends even better. If you want to please your taste buds with some surprise, try this delicious chicken curry. When chicken simmered in rich coconut milk and tomato based gravy, it makes a divine and mouth-watering dish which goes really well with steamed rice.
Image : Coconut Chicken Curry
- Preparation Time : 10 minutes
- Cooking Time : 30 minutes
- Total Time : 40 minutes
- Serve For : 2
- Chicken (400 gms)
- Coconut Milk (2 cups) /thick
- Onion (1 big) /finely chopped
- Garlic (3-4 cloves) /finely chopped
- Ginger (2 inch) /finely chopped
- Tomato (1 big) /finely chopped
- Salt (to taste)
- Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil (2 tbsp)
- Curry Powder (1-2 tbsp)
Ingredients for Curry Powder :
- Coriander Seeds (2 tbsp)
- Cumin Seeds (2 tbsp)
- Cardamom Seeds (1 tbsp)
- Whole black Peppercorns (1 tbsp)
- Fennel Seeds (1 tbsp)
- Mustard Seeds (1 tsp)
- Whole Cloves (1/2 tsp)
- Dried Red Chilli (2) /seeds discarded
- Turmeric Powder (2 tsp)
Curry Powder –
- Toast the coriander, cumin, cardamom, peppercorns, fennel, mustard, cloves, and the chiles in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat just until they smell fragrant, for about 2 minutes.
- Now grind the toasted spices together to a fine powder. Add the turmeric and give it another quick buzz to combine.
Chicken Curry –
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces with fresh water and marinate them with little salt and turmeric powder. Keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the chopped onion.
- Cook the onion for about 2 minutes and then add chopped ginger and garlic into the kadai. Cook well for at least 5 minutes or until the raw smell has gone.
- Then add chopped tomatoes, season with some salt and cook slowly until the tomatoes are very soft and turn into thick gravy.
- Add marinated chicken pieces into the kadai and give them a stir.
- Now add curry powder, mix it well and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Its time to add the rich coconut milk and continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- When done you can also garnish with some cilantro leaves or butter and serve.
Add onion into oil
Add chopped ginger and garlic
Add chopped tomato
Add marinated chicken
Add curry powder
Add coconut milk and cook for 15 minutes
- Use the curry powder immediately, or store in a sealed jar for up to 1 month.
- Serve with steamed rice.