Palak Chicken is basically a dish where chicken pieces are cooked in yummy and healthy spinach gravy. It’s a traditional dish of North India. If you are not a spinach lover, do try this recipe for once, and you will love the flavour and different taste of this authentic dish. It’s also a very healthy way to convince your kids to have spinach. For more Chicken recipes, search here .
Image : Palak Chicken
- Preparation Time : 15 minutes
- Cooking Time : 40 minutes
- Total Time : 55 minutes
- Serve For : 2
- Chicken (400 gm)
- Spinach (1 cup) /boiled and paste
- Green Chilli (1)
- Onion (2 medium size)
- Garlic Cloves (10-12)
- Lemon Juice (2 tbsp))
- Vegetable Oil (2 tbsp)
- Bay Leaves (2)
- Salt (to taste)
- Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Yogurt (1 tbsp)
- Sugar (1 tsp)
- Garam Masala Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Wash the chicken pieces and marinate them with lemon juice for 30 minutes.
- In a blender, add onion and garlic, make a smooth paste.
- Take 4 cups of water into a saucepan and add some salt to it. Boil the water. When it starts to boil add the spinach leaves and boil for 4-5 minutes. Then drain the water.
- Put the boiled spinach leaves into a blender. Add 1 green chilli and blend to make a smooth puree.
- Heat oil in a pan, add bay leaves.
- When the bay leaves start releasing aroma, add onion paste into the oil. Cook them for few minutes on medium heat.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt into the onion gravy and fry for 4-5 minutes.
- When the gravy cooked properly and leaving little oil from the sides, add the marinated chicken pieces into the pan and mix with the gravy very well.
- Cover the pan with a lead and cook the chicken for 10 minutes on low heat.
- After 10 minutes, take the lead off. Add a little amount of water and again cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the spinach puree into the pan and mix with the chicken very well.
- Add yogurt, give a good stir and again cover the pan for 5 minutes.
- When the chicken cooked perfectly and become soft, add sugar and garam masala powder.
- Mix them well and switch off the flame. Your dish is ready to serve.
Marinate the chicken pieces with lemon juice for 30 minutes
Take onion and garlic cloves into a blender
Make a smooth paste
Make smooth puree by adding green chilli
In a pan, heat oil and add bay leaves
Add onion paste
Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder
Add the marinated chicken pieces
Cover and cook for 10 minutes
Add spinach puree and mix well
Add yogurt and cook for another 5-10 minutes
Add garam masala powder
- For extra richness, add some butter or cream at the very end.
- Serve hot with roti, paratha or fried rice.