Chicken Curry is one of the most common dish of every Indian non-vegetarian Kitchen. This recipe is a delicious combination of the beautiful aroma of Indian spices and fragrant coriander. This home style chicken curry is my family’s all time favourite one. You can also try out a lot more variety of dishes with Chicken, Green Papaya Chicken Curry, Spinach Chicken, Methi Malai Chicken, Red Chicken Curry, Achaari Chicken, Potato Chicken Bengali Style.
Image : Chicken Curry Recipe
- Preparation Time : 10 minutes
- Cooking Time : 40 minutes
- Total Time : 50 minutes
- Serve For : 4
For Marination –
- Mustard Oil (1 tbsp)
- Salt (1/2 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Onion (1 medium size) /sliced
- Garlic (1 tsp) /crushed
- Ginger (1 tsp) /crushed)
- Cumin Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Coriander Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Curd (2 tbsp)
For Curry –
- Chicken (500 gms)
- Mustard Oil (4 tbsp)
- Whole Garam Masala (3 Cardamom, 4 Cloves, 2 inch Cinnamon Stick)
- Bay Leaf (1)
- Salt (to taste)
- Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Onion (4 medium size) /sliced
- Garlic (1 tbsp) /crushed
- Ginger (1 tbsp) /crushed
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Potato (2) /cubed [Optional]
- Coriander Leaves (2 tbsp) /finely chopped
- Water (1/4 cup)
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces. Marinate them with all the ingredients mentioned above. Keep aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is heated, add the whole garam masala and bay leaf.
- Add sliced onions and cook them until they become caramelized.
- Now add the grated ginger and garlic into the pan and cook until the raw smell has gone.
- Meanwhile, add salt, turmeric powder and kashmiri red chilli powder and cook for 5 minutes on medium flame. By the time you can add the potatoes if you want, and mix them with the onion gravy.
- Time to add the marinated chicken pieces into the pan. Combine all the ingredients well and let them cook for 5 minutes.
- Now give a stir and cover the pan with a lead for 10 minutes. Keep the flame on simmer.
- After 10 minutes, put off the lead and stir the chicken well.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and cook for another 10 minutes or until the chicken pieces become tender and soft and the gravy becomes thick.
- Lastly add chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
Marinate the chicken pieces with all the ingredients mentioned above for 20-30 minutes
Heat oil and add whole garam masala and bay leaf
Add sliced onion
Add crushed ginger and garlic
Add salt, turmeric powder and kashmiri red chilli powder
Add potato (optional)
Add marinated chicken pieces
Combine everything well
Cover and cook for 10 minutes
Add water and cook for another 10 minutes
Lastly add chopped coriander leaves
- Potato is my personal favourite, you can skip adding potato for this particular dish.
- Serve with steamed rice or roti.