Labra is an Indian curry made with lots of vegetables and some flavourful spices. It is a perfect accompaniment of Khichuri in all the Pujas in every Bengali household. Particularly the Bhoger Khichuri is incomplete without this deliciously healthy vegetable curry. This dish has a flavour of its own, and when it is served as Bhog or Prasad, the taste increases to its best. The Durga Puja bhog includes Labra with Khichuri, Begun Bhaja, Aloor Dum, Tomato Chutney, Payesh and Rasgulla. You can also serve this veg curry with Pulao.
Image : Labra Recipe
- Preparation Time : 15 minutes
- Cooking Time : 45 minutes
- Total Time : 1 hr
- Serve For : 4-6
- Potato (1 big) /cut into cubes
- Carrot (1 medium) /cut into cubes
- Cauliflower (1 small) /divide into small florets
- Pumpkin or Misti Kumro (1 cup) /cut into cubes
- Sweet Potato or Misti Aloo (1 medium) /cut into cubes
- Cabbage (1/2 from a medium size cabbage) /shredded into big strips
- Green Peas (1/2 cup)
- Green Chilli (1)
[You can also add some more vegetables like Eggplant or Begun, Radish or Mulo, Green Beans, Some Spinach and any other veggies of your choice]
- Mustard Oil (4 tbsp)
- Bay Leaf (1)
- Cumin Seeds (1/4 tsp) /for tempering
- Whole Garam Masala [i.e. cardamom 2, Cinnamon Stick 2 inches, Cloves 2]
- Cumin Powder (1 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Garam Masala Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Ghee or Clarified Butter (1 tsp)
- Sugar (1 tsp)
- Cut all the vegetables and wash them with cold water.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Add bay leaf, whole garam masala and cumin seeds for tempering.
- When they are crackling, add the potato and carrot cubes into the oil and fry them for 4-5 minutes on medium flame.
- Then add cauliflower florets, sweet potato and pumpkin into the pan and fry them with the potato and carrot for 5 minutes more.
- After that, add cabbage slices into the pan and mix it well. Cover the pan and let the cabbages to get moist for 3-4 minutes.
- Open the lead, give it a stir and add turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder and cumin powder. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Now add the green peas and green chilli into the pan and mix with all the vegetables.
- Cook everything for 5-7 minutes and then add 3/4 th cup of water into the pan.
- Give it a stir and cover the pan. let it cook for 15-20 minutes on low flame.
- The consistency of the curry should be like thick gravy and the vegetables should become mushy and tender.
- After 15 minutes, open the lead and stir well.
- Cook for another 5 minutes on high flame so that the excess water is absorbed by the vegetables and there is just enough to just coat the vegetables.
- At this time, adjust seasonings and water. When done the vegetables should be very well cooked and almost mushy.
- Lastly, add garam masala powder and drizzle some ghee or clarified butter. Give a final stir and switch off the flame.
Heat oil and add bay leaf, whole garam masala and cumin seeds
Add potato and carrot cubes and fry for 4-5 minutes
Add cauliflower, pumpkin and sweet potato
Fry for 3-4 minutes
Add cabbage slices
Mix well, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes
Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and salt
Add green peas and green chilli
Saute and cook for 5 minutes more
Add water, cover the pan and cook for 15-20 minutes
Open the lead
Add ghee or clarified butter
Add garam masala powder
Mix well and cook until water absorbed by the vegetables
- You can also drizzle some mustard oil instead of ghee at the end.
- You can also add more vegetables as per your choice.