Dim Kosha or Egg Kosha is a recipe from Bengal. It is a spicy egg curry where hard-boiled eggs are cooked in flavourful onion and tomato based gravy. Eggs are always the easy answer for empty pantry and busy day outs. So try this simple yet delicious recipe which goes really well with steamed rice or roti.
Image : Dim Kosha
- Preparation Time : 10 minutes
- Cooking Time : 1 hr
- Total Time : 1 hr 10 minutes
- Serve For : 4
- Egg (4) /hard-boiled
- Onion (3 medium size)
- Tomato (1 big size)
- Mustard Oil (4-5 tbsp)
- Bay Leaf (1)
- Whole Garam Masala (Cardamom 1, Cloves 4, Cinnamon Stick 2 inches)
- Cumin Seeds (1/4 tsp) /for tempering
- Ginger Paste (1 tbsp)
- Garlic Paste (1 tbsp)
- Cumin Powder (1 tsp)
- Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder 91 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1 tsp + 1/2 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Sugar (1 tsp)
- Coriander Leaves (1 tbsp) /finely chopped
- Whole Green Chilli (2)
- Water (1 cup)
- Boil the eggs and remove the shell carefully. Marinate them with salt and turmeric powder. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a deep bottomed pan. Fry the whole eggs until become deep brown in colour. Drain oil and set them aside.
- Now in the same pan, add some more oil.
- When the oil is heated, add whole garam masala, bay leaf and cumin seeds. Wait for them to splutter.
- Add sliced onion into the pan and fry them until get caramelized.
- Now add garlic paste and ginger paste. Continue to fry them until the raw smell of garlic has gone away.
- Then add finely chopped tomatoes and keep cooking the mixture on medium to high flame until the tomatoes are cooked and combined with the gravy well.
- Its time to add the dry spices into the gravy. Add cumin powder, red chilli powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and sugar. Start braising (koshano) the gravy on medium to high flame [You can add a little amount of water in intervals while braising]. It will take around 15 minutes to braise. The gravy should look deep brown in colour.
- When the gravy starts oozing out oil and not sticking into the pan, its ready.
- Now add 1 cup of water into the pan and cover with a lead. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open the lead and stir it on high flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the fried eggs and chopped coriander leaves into the gravy. Mix it well and cook until the gravy becomes thick and oozing out oil on the top.
- Lastly add whole green chilli and cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
- Switch off the flame and Dim Kosha is ready to serve.
Boil and marinate eggs with salt and turmeric powder
Fry them until become deep brown in colour
Drain oil and keep them aside
Add some more oil and add whole garam masala, bay leaf and cumin seeds
Add sliced onion and cook until caramelized
Add garlic and ginger paste
Add chopped tomatoes
Add all the dry spices
Start braising the gravy on high flame
Braise until the gravy ooze out oil, it will take around 15 minutes
Add 1 cup water
Cover the lead and cook for 10 minutes
Open the lead, add fried eggs and chopped coriander leaves
Add green chilli and cook the gravy until become thick
Switch off the flame
- The eggs should be boiled hard.
- Cut 3-4 slits on the surface of the boiled eggs before marinating them.
- Serve with steamed rice or roti.