Coconut Barfi is a popular Bengali sweet that we use to make during this festive season. It’s a very easy to make recipe and takes only a few minutes to prepare. You just only need two main ingredients for this barfi, i.e. coconut and sugar. I feel Durga Puja is incomplete without these delicious and juicy coconut barfis.
Image : Coconut Barfi
- Preparation Time : 10 minutes
- Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Total Time : 20 minutes
- Makes : 9-10 barfis
- Grated Coconut (1 1/2 cup)
- Green Cardamom Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Ghee or Clarified Butter (to grease the pate)
To make the Sugar Syrup –
- Sugar (3/4 cup)
- Water (1/2 cup)
- At first, to make the sugar syrup, boil 1/2 cup of water. Add 3/4 cup of sugar and boil until the sugar dissolves completely into water.
- Keep stirring and boiling the sugar syrup until it starts bubbling and a single string consistency has formed. It will take around 5-7 minutes to make the one string consistency syrup.
- Grease a plate with few drops of ghee to set the barfi, and keep it aside.
- When the syrup is ready, add grated coconut into the sugar syrup and keep mixing it well on low to medium heat.
- After 5 minutes the mixture will become thick and sticky. Add cardamom powder and combine it very well.
- Cook for another 5 minutes on low flame and you will see the mixture starts coming off easily from the sides of the pan.
- Switch off the flame and transfer the mixture immediately on the greased plate or tray. Set the mixture and smoothen the surface.
- After 5-7 minutes, when the mixture is still warm, cut them into square pieces and then let them cool down completely.
- Store in an air tight container up to 2 weeks and enjoy.
Take sugar and water in a pan
Boil and make a single string consistency sugar syrup
Add grated coconut
Mix with the syrup
After 5 minutes it starts to become thick
Add cardamom powder
Mix well and switch off the flame
Transfer the mixture on a greased plate
Cut them when still warm
Cut into squares
- When the coconut mixture is ready, act very fast and transfer the mixture on the greased plate immediately, or the mixture will become hard.
- Cut the barfis when the mixture is still warm, or it will be difficult to make pieces.
- You can also store them in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.