Vermicelli or Semiya Upma is one of such recipes that your children will love most, whether it packed as tiffin or for the breakfast. It only needs a few minutes to cook this. Upma is usually made from Semolina or suji, but you can also make it with Semiya or vermicelli and it tastes yum. This recipe will never fail in weekends also.
Image : Lemon Vermicelli Upma
- Preparation Time : 10 minutes
- Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Total Time : 30 minutes
- Serve for : 2
- Rice Vermicelli or Semiya (2 cups) /boiled
- Onion (1 medium size) /sliced
- Cabbage (1 cup) /finely chopped
- Capsicum (2 tbsp) /diced
- Peas (1 tbsp)
- Tomato (1 medium size) /chopped
- Lemon Juice (1 tbsp)
- Mustard Seeds (1/2 tsp) /for tempering
- Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Sugar (1 tsp)
- Sunflower Oil (2 tbsp)
- To start, boil the rice vermicelli. For boiling, take a saucepan and add water and 1/2 tsp of salt and put them on flame. When the water gets warm add vermicelli and boil them for 3-4 minutes. When done, drain the water and set them aside .
- Now take a pan and add oil, when the oil is heated add mustard seeds and wait for them to splutter.
- Then add the sliced onion and cabbage , fry them until they become soft.
- Add salt and again stir for a while.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes , capsicum and peas , fry all the ingredients for 5 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add red chilli powder and mix well.
- When vegetables are done, add boiled vermicelli and mix with the vegetables very well.
- Now add sugar and cook all the ingredients for few minutes on a low flame.
- When its done, put off the flame and add the lemon juice over it , give a good stir to mix them well.
- Your dish is ready to serve.
Add mustard seeds in oil
Add onion slice and cabbages
Add Capsicum, tomatoes and peas
Add red chilli powder
Add boiled vermicelli
Add lemon juice
- Do not put the lemon juice while the flame is on, or the dish will become bitter.