Gajar Ka Halwa or Carrot Halwa or Gajrela is one of the most popular Indian dessert. Known to have originated in Punjab, and we make this mouth-watering delicacy often, during winters. This traditional recipe uses just milk, ghee and sugar to make the halwa. It is important to buy tender and juicy carrots so that they are easy to grate. Here are few easy steps to make that delicious Gajar Ka Halwa that you absolutely love at home. You can also cook Suji ka Halwa, Kaju Mawa Halwa and many more in this winter season.
Image : Gajar Ka Halwa
- Preparation Time : 20 minutes
- Cooking Time : 40 minutes
- Total time : 1 hr
- Serve For : 4
- Carrot or Gajar (3 cups) /grated
- Milk (1 cup)
- Clarified Butter or Ghee (2 tbsp)
- Sugar (6 tbsp)
- Cardamom (1/8 tsp) /crushed
- Chopped Almonds (2 tbsp)
- Cashew and Raisins (2 tbsp)
- Peel and grate the carrots.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add ghee.
- Add grated carrots into the ghee and fry them for 10 minutes on medium heat by stirring constantly.
- Now add milk. Stir the mixture well, cover the pan with a lead and cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take off the lead. Stir well and add sugar.
- Combine the sugar evenly with the carrot mixture and cook on medium to high flame by stirring continuously.
- Meanwhile, add dry fruits and mix everything well.
- Stir and continue cooking until the halwa turns deep orange color.
Add ghee in a heavy bottom pan
Add grated gajar into ghee and fry for 10 minutes
Stir well and cover the pan for 15 minutes
After 15 minutes, it will look like this
Add sugar and mix well
Add dry fruits
Add crushed cardamom
Stir and cook until the halwa turns deep orange color
- Serve your halwa hot, warm or even cold.
- You can refrigerate this up to 7 days.