Beguni is a very famous and mouth-watering snack from Bengal. I have made this very popular snack in a little different way, and its called Eggplant Fingers. It’s basically a dish made from eggplant, dipped into batter and deep-fried in hot oil. This snack is best for rainy days and goes very well with puffed rice or tea or coffee with few pinch of chaat masala or black salt sprinkled over it. You can also search for more Bengali Recipes or Snack Recipes in my blog.
Image : Eggplant Fingers
- Preparation Time : 5 minutes
- Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Total Time : 15 minutes
- Makes : 15-20 fingers
- Purple Eggplant or Begun (1 medium size)
- Vegetable Oil (for deep-frying)
For the Batter –
- All purpose flour or Maida (4 tbsp)
- Gram Flour or Besan (2 tbsp)
- Rice Flour or Chaler Guro (1 tbsp)
- Red Chilli Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Nigella Seeds or Kalo Jeera (1/2 tsp)
Add all the ingredients mentioned to make the batter
Add water and make a thick smooth paste
Cut the eggplant into thin finger like pieces
Dip the pieces into the batter and coat very well
Deep fry them untill they become golden brown
Place them on absorbent paper
- Make sure the batter is thick enough to coat the eggplant pieces.
- Do not cut the slices too thick.
- Serve hot with tea or coffee.