Aloo Posto is the traditional Bengali dish originally from West Bengal but equally appreciated by Bengalis from the eastern part as well. In this dish potatoes are fried in a thick coating of poppy seeds or posto and tastes really great. Posto also helps in getting a good sleep and to relax your body. So this authentic Bengali dish is not only good for your health but for your taste buds also. It is a delicious dish to eat but simple and easy enough to cook.
Image : Aloo Posto
- Preparation Time : 10 minutes
- Cooking Time : 25-30 minutes
- Total Time : 40 minutes
- Serve For : 3-4
- Potato (3 medium size) /cut into cubes
- Poppy seeds or Posto Paste (3 tbsp)
- Hing or Asafoetida (1/8 tsp or a pinch) /for tempering
- Green Chilli (1) /chopped
- Salt (to taste)
- Red Chilli Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Sugar (1/2 tsp)
- Water (1/2 cup)
- Mustard Oil (3 tbsp)
Add a pinch of asafoetida into oil
Add potato cubes and fry them
Meanwhile add chopped green chilli
Add red chilli powder and fry well
Now add posto paste
- Do not add turmeric powder. Traditional aloo posto is always cook without turmeric powder and cumin seeds.
- It tastes best with steamed rice and plain daal.