Vinegar Onion or Sirkewale Pyaaz is the must have with any type of North Indian dishes. Almost every Indian restaurant in the northern parts of India will have this little bowl of vinegar dipped small red onions on their table. They will serve you this little shallots complimentary like pickle with your meal. This red juicy onions are a classic condiment that will never get old.You need only few ingredients and only few minutes to prepare this pickled onion.
Image : Vinegar Onion
- Preparation Time : 10 minutes
- Making Time : 5 minutes
- Inactive : 15 minutes
- Total Time : 30 minutes
- Small Red Onions or Shallots (12-15)
- White Vinegar (1 cup)
- Water (1/2 cup)
- Sugar (4 tbsp)
- Salt (2 tsp)
- Black Pepper Corn (5-6)
- Beetroot (1) /sliced
- Firstly, peel, wash and wipe the onions. In case you don’t get the small onions, use sliced big red onion.
- Peal and slice beetroot, keep aside. Beetroot will give the onions a beautiful red colour.
- To prepare the vinegar mixture, take a saucepan and add 1 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup water, 4 tbsp sugar, 2 tsp salt, black pepper corn, and place the sauce pan on heat. Stir until sugar and salt dissolve completely into vinegar.
- Now add 5-6 slices of beetroot into the saucepan and boil for 1 minute. Switch off the heat.
- Let the vinegar mixture cool down completely.
- Place the shallots into a clean and sterilized glass jar.
- When the vinegar mixture cools down, strain through a sieve and pour the liquid into the jar. The onions should be completely covered and have the liquid come up half an inch above the level of the onions.
- Give a gentle stir and close the jar tightly with a lead.
- The pickled onions will be ready after 2 days. Refrigerate after the onions are pickled. These last for over a month in the refrigerator.
Peel, wash and wipe the onions
Add 1 cup vinegar into a saucepan
Add 1.2 cup water
Add pepper corn
Boil until sugar and salt dissolve completely
Add beetroot slices and boil for 1 minute
Let the mixture cool down completely
Strain through a sieve
Add the onions into a clean jar
Put the mixture into the jar
Add tow slices of beetroot
Close the jar tightly with a lead
- Shake the jar once in a day.