Tel Begun or Spicy Eggplant Curry is an authentic Bengali vegetarian recipe. It is a very easy to make eggplant curry cooked with lots of mustard oil and some spices and tastes really delicious. It tastes great when you have it with steamed rice.
Image : Tel Begun
- Preparation Time : 10 minutes
- Cooking Time : 30 minutes
- Total Time : 40 minutes
- Serve For : 4
- Eggplant or Begun (2 medium size) /cut into big cubes
- Mustard Oil (6-8 tbsp)
- Onion (2 medium size) /finely chopped
- Tomato (1 big)
- Crushed Garlic (1 tbsp)
- Green Chilli (2)
- Panch Phoron or Bengali Five Spice (1/2 tsp) /for tempering
- Cumin Powder (1 tsp)
- Coriander Powder (1 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Sugar (1/2 tsp)
- Chopped Coriander Leaves (2 tbsp)
- Water (1 cup)
- Cut the eggplants into big cubes and coat them evenly with some salt and 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Heat enough oil in a pan and fry the eggplant cubes until they become soft from inside and light brown from outside. Drain oil and keep them aside.
- In the same oil, add panch phoron and wait for them to splutter.
- Then add crushed garlic into the oil and stir for few seconds.
- Add the chopped onion immediately after adding garlic. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium to high flame.
- When the onion become caramelized, add chopped tomato and chopped green chilli into the pan and cook them until the tomatoes become soft and tender.
- Now add cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder and salt into the gravy and cook for 5-7 minutes on low heat until the gravy starts leaving oil from sides.
- When the gravy is done, add 1 cup of water, cook for another 5 minutes on high flame.
- Meanwhile add some sugar into the gravy.
- After the gravy becomes little thicker, add the fried eggplant pieces and sit gently.
- Cook for another 5 minutes on low flame without stirring.
- Lastly add chopped coriander leaves and give a final stir.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot.
Cut the eggplant and coat them with salt and turmeric powder
Fry them very well
Drain oil and keep aside
Add panch phoron into the same oil
Add crushed garlic
Add chopped onion
Add chopped tomato and green chilli
Add all the dry spices and salt
Cook until oil leaves from the sides
Add some water
Add sugar and cook for 4-5 minutes
Add the fried eggplants
Add chopped coriander leaves
Combine well and switch off the flame
- Do not stir the curry often after adding fried eggplants, or it will become mushy.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.