Kashmiri Dum Aloo is a Kashmiri delicacy which is now very famous in the Northern part of India. In this recipe fried potatoes are cooked in a rich yogurt based gravy with some aromatic spices, which makes this dish look and taste simply irresistible. This dish is traditionally cooked with baby potatoes, but if you don’t have any (as they are very rare to find in the market), you can also use medium size potatoes by cutting them into halves (which I did), the taste will remain the same.
- Preparation Time : 10 minutes
- Cooking Time : 40 minutes
- Total Time : 50 minutes
- Serve For : 4
- Potato (5 medium size) /cut into halves
- Yogurt (150 gm) /whisked with 1/2 cup water
- Garlic (10-12 cloves)
- Ginger (5 inch piece)
- Dry Red Chilli (2)
- Red Chilli (2)
- Vegetable Oil (2 tbsp)
- Ghee or Clarified Butter (1 tsp)
- Cumin Seeds (1/4 tsp)
- Asafoetida or Hing (1/4 tsp)
- Kasoori Methi or Dried Fenugreek Leaves (1 tbsp)
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder (2 tbsp)
- Cumin Powder (1 tsp)
- Coriander Powder (1 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Garam Masala Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Sugar (1 tbsp)
- Fresh Cream (6 tbsp) /whisked
- Water (1/2 cup)
- Wash the potatoes very well and cut them into halves. Boil them for 15 minutes in salted water. Soak for another 1 hr and then peel the skin. Keep them aside.
- In a blender, add garlic cloves, ginger pieces, dry red chilli and red chilli. Grind them into a smooth paste.
- In a large bowl, whisk yogurt with 1/2 cup of water. Then add the ground red chilli paste into the whisked yogurt (we need 4 tbsp of the ground mixture) and mix them together very well.
- Now in the yogurt mixture, add kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt. Stir and mix them well and keep aside.
- In a large pan, add 2 tbsp of oil. Fry the boiled potatoes in two batches until they become light golden brown in colour.
- When done, drain oil and keep them aside.
- In the same oil, add 1 tsp of ghee. Add some cumin seeds and hing. Saute for few seconds and then add the yogurt mixture into the pan.
- Immediately stir the mixture and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add kasuri methi and cook for 5 minutes on low to medium heat by covering the pan.
- After 5 minutes, open the lead and add garam masala powder. Stir the mixture and cook for 3-4 minutes on high flame.
- Now add the fried potatoes into the pan and stir gently.
- Add some sugar, stir again and cover the pan for 10 more minutes.
- Open the lead, add whisked fresh cream. Stir the mixture and boil for 5-10 minutes on low flame.
- After 10 minutes switch off the flame and your Kashmiri Dum Aloo is ready to serve.
Grind garlic cloves, ginger, dry red chilli and red chilli
Make a smooth paste
Whisk yogurt with 1/2 cup of water
Add the grounded paste
Add cumin powder, coriander powder, kashmiri red chilli powder and salt
Mix them well
Boil the potatoes
Fry them until light golden brown
Keep them aside
In the same oil, add ghee
Add cumin seeds and hing
Add the yogurt mixture and stir well
Add kasuri methi and cook for 5 minutes
Add garam masala powder
Stir well, cover the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes
After 5 minutes
Add the fried potatoes
Add sugar, stir, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes
After 10 minutes
Add fresh cream
Boil for 10 minutes more
Ready to serve
- Serve with roti, naan,kulcha or rice.
To get more recipes follow us on Youtube .