Gatte ki sabzi, an authentic dish from Rajasthani cuisine is a delicious curry prepared with gram flour as base ingredient. Gatte means steamed gram flour dumplings flavoured with dry spices, cooked into a spicy and irresistible yoghurt based gravy. Rajasthani thali is incomplete without this delicious curry. Serve this dish with hot seamed rice or chapati.
Image : Gatte ki Sabzi
- Preparation Time : 20 minutes
- Cooking Time : 30 minutes
- Total Time : 50 minutes
- Serve For : 4
To make Gatte –
- Gram Flour or Besan (5 tbsp)
- Clarified Butter or Ghee (2 tbsp)
- Red Chilli Powder (1tsp)
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder (1tbsp)
- Green Chilli (2) /chopped
- Coriander Seeds (1/4 tsp) /crushed
- Asafoetida or Hing (1/4 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder(1/2 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Carom Seeds or Ajwain (1/4 tsp)
- Water (as required to make a dough)
- Water (2 cups) /to boil the gatte
To make Gravy –
- Yogurt (4 tbsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Coriander Powder (1 tsp)
- Clarified Butter or Ghee (2 tbsp)
- Cumin Seeds (1/4 tsp)
- Fenugreek Seeds (1/4 tsp)
- Green Cardamom (2)
- Cinnamon Stick (2″)
- Whole Dry Red Chilli (2)
- Onion (2 medium size) /finely chopped
- Green Chilli (1) /chopped
- Garlic (5-6 cloves) /crushed
- Tomato (1 small size) /finely chopped
- To make the gattes, add gram flour, red chilli powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, ghee, green chilli, coriander seeds, hing, turmeric powder, salt, carom seeds and water into a bowl. Mix all the ingredients very well and gradually add water to knead smooth and stiff dough (like paratha dough).
- Now grease your palms with oil, divide the dough into 2-3 equal portions and roll each portion into 1/2 inch thick cylindrical shape.
- Boil 2 cups of water into a pan and add the cylindrical rolls in it. Boil for at least 10 minutes.
- When the gatte become hard and cooked enough, cut them into 1/2 inch long pieces with spoon or knife. Switch off the flame and keep the gattes aside along with the remaining water.
- To make the gravy, add ghee into a kadai. Then add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, whole garam masala and whole red chilli into the ghee and wait for them to splutter.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, add yogurt, coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix them well and keep aside.
- Now in the ghee add chopped onion, crushed garlic and fry them until the raw smell of garlic has gone and the onion has become golden brown.
- Then add chopped tomatoes into the kadai and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Its time to add the yogurt and spices mixture into the kadai and cook well for at least 10 minutes. You can also add little water to make the gravy.
- When all the spices are cooked well and the gravy starts to boil, reduce flame to low and add the gattes along with water.
- Cook until the gravy becomes medium thick for approx. 5-7 minutes. Stir gently in between to prevent sticking. If required, add more water to make watery gravy and cook again for 3-4 minutes after adding the water.
- Switch off the flame. Your delicious gatte ki sabzi is ready to serve.
Add all the ingredients into a bowl
Make a dough
Divide into two portions
Make 1/2-inch thick cylindrical shape
While cooked cut them into 1/2 inch pieces
Add spices into yogurt
Add ghee into kadai
Add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, whole red chilli, whole garam masala
Add chopped onion
Add crushed garlic
Add chopped tomatoes
Add yogurt mixture
Add cooked gattes
- The dough may become little sticky while kneading.
- Serve with steamed rice, roti, or paratha.
To get more recipes via Email , Subscribe to our Newsletter . Also follow us on Youtube .