Chicken Do Pyaza is a delicious Indian Chicken Curry and a very popular Punjabi dish. The phrase “Do Pyaza” refers as double onion. It’s a bit spicy, sweet and mouth-watering dish which you can serve with roti, rice or naan.
Image : Chicken Do Pyaza
- Preparation Time : 15 minutes
- Cooking Time : 40 minutes
- Total Time : 55 minutes
- Serve For : 4
- Chicken (500 gm)
- Onion (6 Big)
- Oil (6 tbsp)
- Green Cardamom (2-3)
- Cinnamon Stick (3 inches)
- Cloves (3)
- Grated Garlic (2 tbsp)
- Grated Ginger (1 tbsp)
- Tomato (1 small)
- Cumin Powder (1 tsp)
- Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Garam Masala Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Ghee or Clarified Butter (1/2 tsp)
- Clean and wash the chicken with fresh water and marinate them with salt and turmeric powder for 30 minutes.
- Slice all the onion evenly.
- Heat oil in a kadai. When the oil is heated, add 50% of the sliced onion into the oil and fry them until deep brown.
- When done, drain oil and keep them aside.
- In the same oil, fry the marinated chicken pieces lightly. Drain oil and keep aside.
- Now add whole garam masala, i.e cardamom, cinnamon and cloves into the oil and saute them until they leaves a beautiful aroma.
- Add rest of the onion slices into the hot oil and fry them until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add grated ginger, grated garlic and fry them with onion.
- Add red chilli powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix everything very well and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Now add chopped tomato and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- When the gravy is cooked properly, add the fried chicken pieces into the pan, combine with the gravy, cover the lead and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- After 10 minutes, open the lead, add 1 cup of water, stir and again cover with the lead. Reduce the heat and let the curry simmer on low heat for 15 minutes or cook until the chicken become soft and tender.
- Lastly, add the fried onion, garam masala powder and ghee. Mix well. Cook for 5 minutes more and switch off the flame.
Fry 50% of sliced onion until golden brown
Drain oil and keep them aside
Marinate the chicken pieces with salt and turmeric powder for 30 minutes
Fry them lightly
Drain oil and keep aside
Add whole garam masala into hot oil
Add rest of the sliced onion
Add grated ginger and garlic
Add red chilli powder, cumin powder , salt and turmeric powder
Cook for 5 minutes
Add fried chicken pieces
Combine with the gravy and cook for 10 minutes
Add 1 cup of water
Cover and cook for 10 minutes
Add fried onion
Add garam masala powder
Switch off the flame and serve
- Serve with roti, paratha, rice or naan.