Chicken Bharta is a dish made with shredded chicken, popularly in the part of Northern and Eastern India. It is a delicious side dish for roti and naan, cooked in a rich tomato-onion based gravy and flavoured with the richness of fresh cream and eggs.
Image : Chicken Bharta
- Preparation Time : 30 minutes
- Cooking Time : 40 minutes
- Total Time : 1 hr 10 minutes
- Serve For : 3-4
- Boneless Chicken (200 gms)
- Cardamom (6)
- Cinnamon Stick (4 inches)
- Cloves (8)
- Bay Leaf (1)
- Vegetable Oil (4 tbsp)
- Onion (2 medium size) /finely chopped
- Tomato (1 big size) /finely chopped
- Garlic Paste or Crushed (1 tbsp)
- Ginger Paste or Crushed (1/2 tbsp)
- Coriander Powder (1 tsp)
- Cumin Powder (1 tsp)
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- Cashew Paste (2 tbsp)
- Yogurt (2 tbsp) /whisked
- Fresh Cream (3 tbsp)
- Kasuri Methi or Dried Fenugreek Leaves (1 tsp)
- Boiled Egg (2)
- Chicken Stock (1 cup)
- Clean and wash the chicken pieces properly. Boil water with some salt, 4 cardamom, 4 cloves, 2 inches of cinnamon stick and 1 bay leaf. When the water is boiling, add the chicken pieces into it and boil them for 15 minutes. When done, separate the pieces from the chicken stock and keep both of them aside.
- Now in a bowl, add coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and kashmiri red chilli powder. Add some water and make a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- After the chicken pieces are completely cooled, shred them with the help of fork or with your fingers into thin strips. Give enough time to shred the chicken. It is the most time-consuming part during the whole bharta making process. Now keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is heated, add 2-3 crushed cardamom, 2 inches of cinnamon stick, 3-4 cloves and saute for a few seconds until the spices release a nice aroma.
- Then add chopped onion and saute for a while.
- Add crushed ginger and garlic, cook them until the raw smell of garlic has gone away.
- When the onion turns to nice golden brown colour, add chopped tomatoes and cook till they become soft and tender.
- Meanwhile, pour the spices paste into the pan and cook until the mixture dries up and starts leaving oil from sides. It will take around 15 minutes to prepare the gravy.
- Its time to add the shredded chicken into the pan and mix them very well with the gravy. Cook for 3-4 minutes by stirring the mixture constantly because the shredded chicken will get burnt very easily.
- Now, add 1 cup of chicken stock into the mixture, cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- After that, open the lead, stir the mixture well and add cashew paste. Mix it very well.
- Then add whisked yogurt, combine everything well and cover the pan with a lead for 10-15 minutes on low flame.
- When done, open the lead stir it well, add fresh cream followed by kasuri methi and give a nice mix. If you feel the chicken is dry, you can add little more of chicken stock at this time.
- Cook for another 5 minutes on low flame until the chicken bharta looks thick and creamy.
- lastly, add chopped boiled eggs and gently mix with the gravy.
- Switch off the flame and your chicken bhurta is ready to serve.
Boil the chicken pieces with salt, bay leaf and whole garam masala for 15 minutes
Take them out from the stock and keep aside
Shred them into thin strips
Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and red chilli powder
Add water and make a paste
Add whole garam masala into hot oil
Add chopped onion
Add grated garlic and ginger
Add chopped tomatoes
Add spices paste
Cook until the gravy leaves oil from sides
Add shredded chicken
Combine them well with the gravy
Add 1 cup chicken stock
Add cashew paste
Add whisk yogurt
Cover the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes
Add fresh cream
Add kasuri methi
Add chopped eggs and mix gently
Chicken Bharta is ready to serve
- Give enough time to shred the chicken. Long thin shredded chicken makes good chicken bharta.
- Serve with roti or naan.