Baingan Ka Bharta is yet another very popular Punjabi dish which you can make very easily at your home. Punjabi Baingan Bharta is just one of the several versions of Eggplant Bharta there are in Indian cooking. In my recipe, I have made this bharta without any spices or masala, yet it turns out very delicious. There is another very popular Bengali recipe called Begun Pora in my blog, which is quite similar to Bharta, but the taste of both the recipes are totally different from other.
Image : Baingan ka Bharta
- Preparation Time : 10 minutes
- Cooking Time : 50 minutes
- Total Time : 1 hr
- Serve for : 4
- Eggplant or Baingan (1 big size)
- Mustard Oil (3 tbsp)
- Onion (2 medium size) /finely chopped
- Tomato (2) /finely chopped
- Ginger (1 tbsp) /chopped
- Red Chilli Powder (1 tbsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Green Chilli (2) /chopped
- Green Coriander Leaves (3-4 tbsp) /finely chopped
- Take the eggplant and cut slits into it. Rub some oil over it and put on a chapatti roasting net on the gas flame. You can also put it in open flame on the gas burner.
- Roast the eggplant for 25 minutes or till it is soft. You can prick a fork to test it.
- When the eggplant is roasted properly, put it into cold water for 5 minutes. It will help to peel the skin easily.
- After 5 minutes, pick it out from water and take off the skin. [For detailed picture tutorial of how to roast and peel the eggplant, follow Begun Pora recipe] .
- Now put the roasted eggplant into a blender and make a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped green chillies.
- When the chillies starts to splutter, add chopped onion into the pan and fry for a while.
- Add chopped ginger and cook the onions until become soft and golden brown.
- Then add the eggplant paste into the pan and cook very well, at least for 3-5 minutes on medium to high flame.
- Meanwhile add red chilli powder and salt into the mixture and stir well.
- When the eggplant is cooked well, add chopped tomatoes into the pan, cook for 10 minutes or until the oil separates from the sides of the pan.
- It will become like a thick gravy. Then add chopped coriander leaves, mix well and switch off the flame.
For detailed picture tutorial of how to roast and peel the eggplant, follow Begun Pora recipe
Put the peeled eggplant into a blender
Make a paste
Add chopped green chilli into oil
Add chopped onion
Add chopped ginger
Add eggplant paste
Add red chilli powder and salt
Add tomatoes and cook very well
Lastly add chopped coriander leaves
- Serve with roti or paratha.