Prawn Malai Curry or Chingri Malaikari is a Bengali delicacy. This recipe is the authentic version of Chingri Malaikari. In this recipe, jumbo prawns are cooked in onion gravy and rich coconut milk, and this combination with prawn tastes divine. For more Bengali recipes, search here .
Image : Prawn Malai Curry
- Preparation Time : 15 minutes
- Cooking Time : 40 minutes
- Total Time : 55 minutes
- Serve For : 5
- Jumbo Prawn (10 pieces) /Golda or Bagda Chingri
- Onion (2 medium size) /paste
- Whole Garam Masala (4 green cardamom, 6 cloves, 3 inch cinnamon stick)
- Bay Leaves (2)
- Ginger Garlic Paste (1 tsp)
- Vegetable Oil (3 tbsp)
- Ghee or Clarified Butter (1 tsp)
- Red Chilli Powder (1-2 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Water (1/4 th cup)
- Raisins (10-15)
- Thick Coconut Milk (1 cup)
- Sugar (1 tsp)
- Clean, de-vein and wash prawns thoroughly under running water. Marinate them with some salt and turmeric powder. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is heated, fry the prawns until light golden brown. Drain oil and keep them aside.
- In the same oil, add ghee or clarified butter.
- Then add crushed garam masala and bay leaves. While they leaving aroma, add the onion paste into the pan. Fry for few minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add turmeric paste, red chilli powder and salt. Cook the gravy until becomes deep brown and leaving oil from the sides.
- Then add 1/4 cup of water and add the sautéed prawns into the pan. Stir them well.
- Add raisins and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Now add the thick coconut milk into the gravy and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- When the gravy starts to boil, add sugar. Cook until the gravy becomes little thick and rich.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot.
Marinate the prawns with salt and turmeric powder
Saute them until become golden brown
Set them aside
Add ghee into the same oil
Add crushed garam masala
Add bay leaves
Add onion paste
Add ginger garlic paste
Add turmeric powder, salt and red chilli powder
Add some water
Add the sautéed prawns
Add thick coconut milk
Cook until the gravy becomes thick and rick
- Here I have used bagda chingri, you can also make this dish by using golda chingri or lobster.
- Serve with steamed rice.