Lau Chingri or Bottle Ground Curry with Prawns is a very famous and delicious traditional Bengali dish. This recipe is the combination of sweet bottle ground or lau and flavour full Chingri or shrimps. When these two ingredients combines together, it is enjoyable any way you eat. It’s a semi gravy dish and mostly served with steamed rice.
Image : Lau Chingri
- Preparation Time : 10 minutes
- Cooking Time : 30 minutes
- Total Time : 40 minutes
- Serve For : 3-4
- Bottle Ground or Lau (1 small size) /finely chopped
- Shrimps or Chingri (150 gm)
- Celery Seeds or Radhuni (1/8 tsp) /for tempering
- Salt (to taste)
- Cumin Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Red Chilli Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Whole Green Chilli (1)
- Sugar (1/4 tsp)
- Vegetable Oil (3 tbsp)
- To make the curry, first scrap and cut the bottle ground into very small pieces and wash them with cold water, let them to dry.
- Then peel the skin of the shrimps and also clean them with cold water. Marinate them with salt and turmeric powder.
- Now heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. When the oil is heated, put the marinated shrimps into the oil and saute them for a while. When done, take them off from the pan and set aside.
- In the same oil, add celery seeds. It gives a nice aroma and a different flavour to the dish.
- Add the chopped bottle ground into the pan and stir them well.
- After 2-3 minutes, add salt. Mix well and cover the pan with a lead. Cook for 5-10 minutes on a low flame.
- Now put off the lead from the pan and stir the mixture. You can see the bottle grounds are leaving water.
- Set the heat on medium to high and add the spices, such as, cumin powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and green chilli, mix all the spices well and cook for another 5 minutes by stirring occasionally on medium to low heat.
- Now add the fried shrimps into the gravy and stir well.
- Cook until the gravy becomes concentrated and the bottle grounds becomes tender and soft.
- Lastly add sugar. Give a stir and put off the flame.
- Your dish is ready to serve.
Saute the shrimps into the oil and set aside
In the same oil, add celery seeds
Add chopped bottle ground
Cover the pan with a lead and cook for 5-10 minutes
Add red chilli powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and green chilli
Add fried shrimps
- You can also use cumin seeds instead of celery seeds for tempering.
- Make sure the bottle grounds are cooked properly.
- Serve with steamed rice.