We Bengalis have the immense capability of eating each and every part of fish, and how can we forget to make some delicious Bengali speciality with Fish egg or roe. Various fresh water fishes like Rohu, Hilsa have eggs and we can make some yummy dishes with the eggs. These eggs are seasonal sometimes. This Fish Egg Curry is not a very common Bengali recipe, but I make this very often in my home. For more Bengali recipes, search here .
Image : Fish Egg Curry
- Preparation Time : 10 minutes
- Cooking Time : 40 minutes
- Total Time : 50 minutes
- Serve For : 4-6
- Fish Egg or Roe (200 gm) /cut into pieces
- Salt (to taste)
- Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- Vegetable Oil (3 tbsp)
- Onion (2 medium size)
- Garlic (8-9 cloves)
- Ginger (3″ piece)
- Cumin Seeds (1/4 tsp)
- Bay Leaf (1)
- Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Cumin Powder (1 tsp)
- Tomato Puree (4 tbsp)
- Garam Masala Powder (1/4 tsp)
- Sugar (1 tsp)
- Wash the eggs and carefully take out the hanging skin if any.
- Cut them into small pieces with knife or scissor.
- Marinate the eggs with salt and turmeric.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger into a blender and make a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and put the egg pieces one by one. Fry them on low flame. When done, drain oil and keep them aside.
- In the same oil, add cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- When they are realising aroma, add the onion paste into the pan and fry them for 3-5 minutes.
- Then add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cumin powder into the pan and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Now add tomato puree and cook until the gravy becomes thick and starts to leaving oil from sides.
- Add 1/2 cup of water. Stir well and add some sugar.
- Wait for a boil, then add the fried fish eggs into the pan.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the gravy becomes slightly thick.
- Lastly add garam masala powder, mix well and switch off the flame.
Wash, cut and marinate the eggs with salt and turmeric powder
Keep them aside
Put onion, garlic and ginger into a blender
Make a coarse paste
In the same oil, add cumin seeds and bay leaf
Add the onion paste
Add red chilli powder, cumin powder, salt and turmeric powder
Cook for 5 minutes
Add tomato puree
Cook until the gravy starts to leaving oil from sides
Add fried fish eggs
Add garam masala powder
Cook for 5 minutes
- Be carefull while frying the eggs, as they tend to tear out and scatter while frying or popping out with great speed.
- Serve with steamed rice or roti.
To get more recipes via Email , Subscribe to our Newsletter . Also follow us on Youtube .
2 thoughts on “Fish Egg Curry – Macher Dimer Jhal”
I am not a fan of fish roe but my hubby loves it. Tried making it with Rui roe following your recipe and it turned out awesome! Thank you!
Easy to cook step by step guide with excellent results..